Monday, October 29, 2012

Dharma is personal, it's circumstancial

I feel I have been taking shots in the dark at my Dharma target and getting close through the years... and yet have not hit the mark.  I am reading Stephen Cope's latest book, "The Great Work of Your Life".. about just that... Dharma as told through the story of the Bhagavad Gita and through the personal stories of ordinary and extraordinary folks like Walt Whitman, Jane Goodall, and Beethoven to name just a few.

As a gemini-type person, always lured away to shiny new things, interests and topics it is difficult for me to anchor in just one pursuit or career.  Yoga has been the longest yet.. 19 years. (yikes).. this is common for me as well in relationships too.. people come and go.. bored, disinterested.. something new around the corner.

Tonight I read this... which made me ponder the circumstances of my current position in the geography of life:

W.A. Murray writes, "Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness."

And he continues, "Concerning all acts of initiative, and creation, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:  That the moment one definitely commits oneself then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would never othewise have occurred.  A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would come his way.  I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's concepts:  'Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, Begin it.  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.' "

This of course is very profound...

So what will I commit too?  Is it yoga teachings, writing, workshopping/lecturing... I'm close to the mark and maybe within that context, that field, I can move the pieces around in an order that makes Dharma-sense of it all.  Then I can commit without hesitancy, to become effective in my life... in giving of my life in service to others.


1 comment: